Sunday 11 March 2012

Relic of 1970's New York Loft Scene Discovered

Wilson, Hemphill, Dara, and Murray.
All for $3.
I was going through some boxes of LPs (remember them?) in my storage space and came across this fascinating relic of the 1970's New York loft scene. It was doing time as a divider inside a cardboard box.

Actually I don't recall this particular show or why I took home the sign, but it must have been a hell of a performance, an ad hoc group of some of the most creative players on the scene circa 1976. The ecstasy of jazz as it existed pre-Marsalis. Why this particular sign remained in my possession, I have no idea, just a serendipitous find. It is quite artistically drawn, no? You can see that loft jazz in the 70's was a high-marketing-budget production.

To put things in historical perspective, as many years have passed between this performance and today as did between Pearl Harbor and this performance. 

Unfortunately both Phillip Wilson and Julius Hemphill, great players whose every recorded note is worth seeking out and hearing, checked out out early. Olu Dara is still around as is the prolific David Murray who, in my opinion, is one of the best tenor players around and can play the entire history of the horn. I like his small group work best but I'm not so hot on some of his fancier projects. Check Death of a Sideman with Bobby Bradford.

No comments:

Post a Comment