Tuesday 6 March 2012

An Interesting Blog, with Thanks to Ellery Eskelin

One of the most intelligent and interesting music blogs I've come across is Musings From A Saxophonist by the excellent New York-based tenor saxophonist Ellery Eskelin. What is fascinating about Ellery's blog is that he explores the creative process and manages to get the reader inside the head of a thinking, exploring saxophonist who is among the leading contemporary players.

I've enjoyed Ellery's music for several years now and decided to write him yesterday to see if he would give me permission to add a link to his blog to my "Other Sources of Musical Wisdom" over on the right-hand sidebar.

Ellery was kind enough to respond right away and say yes to a link. He not only had the courtesy to respond right away, he actually paid attention to my request which was basically out of the blue from a random fan. With internet communication etiquette being highly questionable these days, I really appreciate his response and he has cemented a life-long fan. Thank you kindly, Ellery. 

Those of you who do not know his music should make an effort to find out. I particularly like his album The Sun Died, maybe because I am so partial to Gene Ammons. I've liked all of Ellery's music that I have come across and value his creative approach. He is one those pushing the music forward these days. He also likes to play old saxophones...

You can check out his web site for a discography and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment