Sunday 22 April 2012

Heading For Africa

On the plane for Lagos in a few hours. 

Work takes me there but I will of course be bringing a horn. I may be one of the few that (at least in some ways) looks forward to going to Nigeria. Most of the friends I talk to respond, "you're going WHERE?" Nigeria is the fabled land of the world's sixth or seventh largest oil reserves and NEPA - Never Expect Power Always, in Tony Allen's immortal words. 

Back in February, I wrote about my musical experiences in Nigeria in 2008 and put up a few videos. Nigeria was one of the highlights of my musical renaissance and I hope to expand upon that this year and take my playing up a notch through osmosis (and practice and performance with local bands). 

The difficult decision was which horn to bring. My King Super 20 is too special, my Mark VI too valuable to risk damage or theft, so I packed up my Buffet SDA tenor a little while ago. It has a sturdy build, plays easy top to bottom, has accurate intonation, and I will get used to the keywork after a week or so. A good compromise I hope; this is the horn I had with me in Abuja in 2008. If I miss one of the other horns I can swap out after a while. 

I will be posting some interesting stuff over the next couple of months. Always an exciting time; I don't know what but I do know that musically, it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment