Saturday 4 February 2012

Nigeria Retrospective - Performance Videos

I have a few performance videos from 2008 when I spent the year in Nigeria. These are worth pulling out of the can and posting. I was playing with saxophonist and bandleader Dare Peter, who calls his band The Music Pyramids. Three of the videos come from the Arts and Crafts Village in Abuja, an outdoor venue, and were filmed at about 3:00am on a hot August night when Dare and I sat in with the house rhythm section. A fourth video comes from the Elephant Bar in Abuja with the Nigerian Hendrix, King Faj, fronting Dare’s rhythm section. The video on that one is terrible but the music more than makes up for it. 
First, Dare’s signature tune, Mr. Magic, from the Arts and Crafts Village: 


Next, King Faj plays All Along the Watchtower; I’m on tenor sax: 


Then, two more from the Arts and Crafts Village – the warhorse C Jam Blues and an original highlife tune of Dare’s:


No comments:

Post a Comment