Wednesday 6 June 2012

Fela's Musicians - Interview with Rilwan "Showboy" Fagbemi, Part 3

Showboy: Yes. You know, the music, the awareness, the message, the information is clear, because Fela's music brought enlightenment to a lot of Nigerians, it made them know their right and wrong. He was like, you know, the mouthpiece of the people, talking for the people, so it was like the shadow of the government seeing all the bad things they are doing and telling them, man this is not right.
Ron: Look outside today.

Showboy, direct link to Fela Kuti
Showboy: Check it out. Most of what, most of things that Fela wrote about is what is happening tomorrow...You see, so, Nigeria was so lucky to have someone like him who was like the spiritual father of Nigerians, the spiritual father of Nigerians trying to tell them, make them understand the right and the wrong within the society. 

Ron: In the West, some of us knew already, but small. 

Showboy: Yes, yes, small amount of people, not everyone, not even 30% 

Ron: Not even 3% 

Showboy: That's what I mean. So you know, now, this system has been there for long, and it has never changed. 

Ron: The brainpower it takes to improvise, you could be a brain surgeon. The number of hours of practicing, rehearsing... 

Showboy: Rehearsing, studying your instrument, getting to know your instrument like me, my baritone, how did I get to my standard, get to where I was going on my saxophone, I was doing 8 hours practice every day. Look, if you see me on the road, I'm playing. If you see me in the car, I'm playing. If you see me on stage, I'm playing. 

Ron: That's John Coltrane 

Showboy: That's what I was doing. I was playing everywhere. 

Ron: They say he'd fall asleep... 

Showboy: With his saxophone. I remember. At (name unclear) when they're on session, they would be crying Coltrane! Coltrane! Coltrane! Before you know it, the inspiration starts coming. Music is about sound, it is about the mind, it comes from here (points to his head). Improvisation is the state of your mind. Because if you want to, like me, if I want to play my solo, my mood tells my solo. 

Ron: You got to be on stage with Fela every day, it is like training as an athlete, you are always up here (hand over head

Showboy: Always there because I have to play solos for the dancers, I have to play solos for Fela to dance, and you know moving with the rhythm, now trying to infuse your own mood, your own mind. It wasn't easy. Let me tell you something, sometimes when you come out there to play that solo, the way you start your solo and you see Fela sit like this (sits back in chair), you are not doing good. But when you come in and you start your solo and you see Fela do like this (sits up at attention), you are on the path. 

Ron: The Nigerian crowd doesn't seem to respond. Like if you play at the Apollo, people jump and scream, here every one is like (sits still

Showboy: It's their mood, and the way they express themselves, it is entirely different. 

Ron: When I saw you play Saturday, I thought, I could come here every day, but the crowd was like (sits still). They don't know what they have!

No comments:

Post a Comment